Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Moving Again (and maybe this time it won't be the hottest day ever...)

Apparently, there is some stupid and annoying need inside me to move once a year. I can't just say, "Hey, whatever, forget this job or that school and make the world come to me for once!" Nope. I have no such authority. I move constantly. Ever since my freshmen year of college (2006, if you're fishing for my age), I have moved at least once a year, sometimes two or three times, as in the case of moving into and out of campus dorm rooms to return home for the summer or studying abroad for one epic semester in Scotland.
I'm actually not half-bad at packing and hauling a surprising amount of crap in a tiny space, say a compact Korean car, for example, as I've done it several times. This time, we're moving for my husband's job. The time before that was for my job, so I suppose we're even. Technically, I can now move anywhere since I work online, but I would like to stay put. I envision myself writing novels in an epic tower room of our fictional mansion someday, but that's not exactly in the cards, as they say, so we will continue to rent and pay more than we really should to live in someplace that isn't truly ours.
I shouldn't get down on renting, though; I mean, I have had several decent renting experiences, and it's not all bad. For instance, you don't have to replace any appliances that break (unless it's something really vital that landlords strangely don't provide, like say your coffee pot) and you get out of plowing the driveway and shoveling the sidewalk (except in the tragic case of the aptly named Casa Blanca, circa 2010-2011- the house was on a corner, for Pete's sake, now that's just mean...). Overall, however, yes, I do someday dream of being an author who makes enough money to maybe, just maybe, afford our dream house. Or, at least, help to contribute money for the land upon which we will build said dream house. I am working hard and diligently on my writing (my husband and son can attest to that) when not working my virtual teaching job, cleaning the house, or taking care of said son, so hopefully, someday, my day will come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment