Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Writer's Voice Contest Entry: NORTHERN NIMSBY VS. THE DRONES



 Query:

My novel, Northern Nimsby vs. the Drones is a 65,000 word cozy mystery.

After Jordan Nimsby’s perfect fiancĂ©e is murdered, her life enters a downward spiral until she hits rock bottom in her hometown of Eagle River, Wisconsin. Most people wouldn’t look at an explosion on the first day of a new job as the light at the end of the tunnel, but for Jordy, it means returning to a childhood passion: solving mysteries.

Living in a dusty cabin next door to her parents, working for an old rival and lusting after a high school crush, Jordy welcomes danger during her orientation at the Coffee Cravin’ Cabin.  Drawn by her inner detective, she dives headfirst into the bombing investigation- and right back to her high school BFF and resident rebel, Samantha Orwitz, who is now working as the lead detective for the local police department. The two combine their witty sarcasm and rambunctious personalities as they follow the clues from a series of unmanned drone attacks in nearby towns. The women chase an array of questionable characters and stalk down clues that lead from political conventions to creepy isolated cabins as they seek to unveil who is bringing destruction to the Northwood’s and why.  Leaving behind chaos and general mayhem, as well as the occasional cold brew and deep fried cheese curd, they become determined to survive the mystery without getting blown to bits themselves.

Northern Nimsby vs. the Drones has the potential to evolve into a series, and I have additional outlines in the works. I think the cozy mystery genre needs an adventurous Wisconsin gal with an offbeat personality and a hearty dose of spunk- Jordy is that girl! Previously, the majority of my published work has been freelance or for campus publications at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse; this is my first novel. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Sarah David





First 250 words:
I screamed when the eight-legged monster jumped from the shelf above the oven, missing my head by inches and my scrambled eggs by less. Fortunately, I quickly recovered and beat the spider to a pulp with my trusty old hiking boot. I shoved the tawny boot back in its place near the door before returning to the stove top and giving the eggs another poke with the spatula. One more joy of living in my parents’ sparsely insulated log cabin: bugs around every corner and crevice, preparing for attack. I was at least 72% certain that these creatures had a personal vendetta against me from day one, and their battle tactics seriously surpassed my own. For two weeks now it has been me (Jordan Nimsby) vs. the Evil Bug Bastards (or EBBs for short).
            Yes, that’s correct; my parents gave me an androgynous name. When I was about four or five, prancing around in princess costumes, it was a BIG deal; I wanted my name to be Anastasia or Katherine. Since those days, I’ve grown to love it. My friends used to call me “Nimsby” or “Nims” in high school; now, however, most of them call me Jordy, partially after one of THE best wide receivers in the NFL. Seriously, don’t interrupt a Packer game unless you’re bringing fresh cheese curds or kolatchze to share. You may laugh, but we don’t jest about our football, cheese and European baked goods here in Northern Wisconsin. Or our beer, for that matter…

18 comments:

  1. Jordan seems like my type of MC. Love her already and this seems interesting!

    Best of luck :D

    ~Kosoko Jackson
    @KosokoJackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in the competition! (Are you on Twitter, btw?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I am on Twitter.

      Delete
    2. What's your Twitter name? A lot of us entrants are hanging out at #TheWVoice – come and join in the fun! :o)

      Delete
    3. Sarah David @wordsandcoffee1 is my Twitter name/tag.

      Delete
  3. I love your voice! You seem to really know your MC. It comes through in your query. Well done! Good luck :) [tiny thing; I'd delete quickly from your second sentence. I think it's implied, and it'd be stronger without]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in the competition! I'm from Madison. My uncle owns a cabin in Eagle River:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Eagle River is a great little town. I grew up in Minocqua, so I love that area :)

      Delete
  5. Great voice and wonderful premise! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd read this in a heartbeat. I love mysteries. Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love northern wisconsin. If the spider gets in the eggs, does it turn them spicy? ;) Best of luck, neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is super strong. I hope you do well in the competition, because I'd be reading the next page, and this isn't my genre, so take that as the compliment it's intended to be.

    I offer everyone a query crit, and if you’re daring, how I would have voted if I were a judge. Just give me a holler at DrFaerieGodmother.blogspot.com (entry number 42) with your email (you can use the name (at) server dot com method if you like), and I’ll email you a crit with some specifics. if you don’t like having your email on the interwebs, just say so in the comment, and I’ll delete the comment before the bots can get it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great opening! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete