Thursday, September 17, 2015

When Life Is Crazy

Some people have told me I'm too busy. They make a great point. I am currently working part time as a virtual English teacher, attending graduate school full time, and caring for my 13-month-old son when not in the classroom. Add to that list the fact that I'm in the process of having my debut novel published, as well as doing additional writing on the side, and, yes, I suppose life is a bit hectic. I admit I do sometimes feel like this:

via GIPHY

But then I take charge, like so:

via GIPHY

I am quick to dismiss the idea that I have taken too much onto the heaped buffet platter that is my life this autumn. In fact, I thrive on a fast-paced, crazy schedule. Chalk it up to growing up with three sisters and the drama of fighting over clothing and bathroom privileges. Or it could be a trait I picked up during college, where I secured myself 2-3 unique jobs at all times. For the most part, however, I think it is an ingrained part of my personality. I like to tackle multiple problems at once, and I feel most productive when faced with a full schedule.

Even within the writing realm, I prefer having multiple works in progress floating around. That way I can dabble here and there where I please for a few minutes before running off to tackle the next "to do" on my busy schedule. Honestly, I don't know how else to write. If you have advice, let me know. It has always been this way for me, writing a bit in a first person science fiction piece in the morning, revising a different novel for a few minutes mid-day, then jotting off two pages of a third person short story before bed.

Now, I don't know that I recommend being constantly on the go. It certainly leads to a scattered brain, as I often find myself misplacing various items related to my different responsibilities or racing from one place to another with about two-point-five seconds to spare. It does help to have wonderful family and friends to lean on for support (and for the occasional hour or two of freedom from commitment). Still, it is one of many ways to function, and...so far, so good.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand the concerns, however I can also relate to what you are saying. You are getting the most, out of life. I am sure you know when to rest, and or take it essy. You are definitely getting the most ,out of life ! Keep on keeping on my friend!

    ReplyDelete