Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Writing Challenge Wrap-up


I’ve met a milestone on my work in progress today: 20,000 words! I am proud to say that all of these words were put onto paper during this month, as a part of my June Writing Challenge. The hours of brainstorming and typing are starting to pay off, and the novel is certainly taking shape. Cue the celebration!

via GIPHY
                Naturally, I didn’t meet all of my goals this month. For instance, I haven’t spent time on my third Jordan Nimsby book; I’ve neglected her in favor of two new protagonists in the WIP, and I feel a little guilty. She’s a fun character to be around, and I do intend to continue my Northwoods Barista Mystery series. I’ve also skipped writing altogether a few days this month due to travel or other obligations. 
                On the bright side, on the days that I did write, I surpassed my daily writing goal. Still, as all writers know, writing is about much more than word counts and daily challenges. The number was simply a guide to keep me focused this summer and to get me back into the flow of purposeful writing. But, should writers write each day? YES! There are probably countless reasons why, but here are some benefits I have found this month: 

1. Expanding Creativity. I feel more creative when I’m taking time to write every day. I’m creating and developing characters and plot, describing settings and actions, and forming dialogue and details. I’ve felt more creative and energetic in my everyday actions this month (more playful with my kids, more efficient in getting tasks done, etc.), and I’m chalking it up to targeting that right side of my brain every morning via writing.  

2. Building Focus. At times, I feel very scatterbrained. I’ve found that my most scatterbrained times are when I’ve gone too long without writing. Whether writing boring old to do lists or freewriting stories and lyrics, I find that the action of writing (or typing) strengthens my focus. It also gives me a great sense of accomplishment that makes me feel more effective in other parts of life. 

3. Having Fun! Duh. It’s tempting to leave this out in favor of more romantic sounding accolades, but writing is fun. Hanging out with your characters is fun, and so is seeing your thoughts in print. Maybe that makes me sound a bit crazy, but I am a writer, so I’m pretty sure that goes with the territory.

4. Moving Toward the Dream. I always tell my students to keep trying and to keep working towards their dreams, so it would be hypocritical if I didn’t follow the same advice. It isn’t that teaching or raising my kids isn’t enough for me (both are incredible experiences that I wouldn’t trade for anything), but I have always had the dream of seeing my published novel in Barnes & Noble. I almost reached that goal when Decaf & Drones was scooped up for publication by Three Worlds Productions three years ago; however, when the company closed shortly afterward, I was left with a well-edited manuscript, a cover, and no formal publisher. I’ve since self-published both Decaf & Drones and Lattes & Loony Lights, and I’ve had a few short stories appear in journals and online, as well (you can check out one of my favorites at Thrice). Still, that one dream still hangs over me: seeing my published work in a mega bookstore. When I write, I see tiny footprints in the sand moving toward my ultimate goal. If I stop writing for a period of time, they wash away. If I keep it up, those steps will take me somewhere.

via GIPHY
                I see with some of my students that they are quick to quit if they don’t see immediate progress at a sport, a job, a class, etc. When I tell them that I have been working toward this particular goal since high school, they are amazed. But I tell them the realities of life: some years you may be working so hard just to get by that you don’t have time to work on your goal; other times, you may need to focus on other activities that will bring you closer to your goal; all the time, small steps are leading you in the right direction. You just need to keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment