Thursday, February 19, 2015

They published that?

If you're a writer, or maybe just an avid reader, you probably ask yourself the same question from time to time: "Why did they publish that?" Navigating the complicated labyrinth of the publishing world is difficult, and there is a myriad of literature competing with one another for the attention of the "big" publishers in New York. (Of course, there's also indie publishing and self-publishing available, but those involve their own challenges.) Still, sometimes I find myself halfway through a novel that somehow passed the critical eyes of the "Big Six" in NYC yet leaves me pondering, "What the heck?"

"How does this happen?" you may ask. First, let's play a game! Guess which of the following lines is from a published novel that went on to sell millions of copies:
A. "Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one."
B. "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
C. "His fingers were ice-cold, like he'd been holding them in a snowdrift before class."
D. "His voice is warm and husky, like dark melted chocolate fudge caramel...or something."


If you guessed "all of the above", you are correct! A is from The Grapes of Wrath; don't feel bad if you didn't recognize it, but Steinbeck's Depression-era novels are still frequently taught in schools (hence my teacher-ish choice). B is a relatively famous line from the Harry Potter series, which I'm willing to say is basically a classic as well by now...

Moving on...do the last two seem rather un-literary? If you said, "Hey, I'm not an amazing writer, but I could come up with better similes than those if you woke me out of bed at 2am after a rather celebratory evening", I would say that you're probably right. Still, this stuff sells millions. Somehow. C is from Twilight and D is from Fifty Shades of Gray. Both have even made it to the big screen.

Now, I'm not going to say that you shouldn't read those two books or that you're "not cool" if you liked them, but I will say that I wish there was a greater appreciation for quality literary fiction, both in the publishing realm and throughout the world at large. It depresses me when I see novel after novel of spine-less female characters surrounded by awkwardly-forced metaphors. These two books just happen to be the most popular examples that fit this common occurrence. Still, a part of me knows why it happens. After attending a few writing webinars and conferences, I've learned that most publishing success boils down to marketing. Publishers pick up what makes them the big bucks, and sometimes you might be amazed at what sells. I am probably a bit of a literary snob (though I try not to be; I'll read anything once!) so I sometimes feel annoyed when bad work is picked up and (worse!) sells millions of copies. You might say, "Sarah, how can it be so 'bad' if it sells millions?" Color me confused because I haven't a clue beyond the fact that those authors have great marketing techniques and publishers willing to put in the time to make sure that particular book is in your face everywhere you go. Their popularity spreads like a disease.

I have to admit, I fell for the Twilight craze back in the day (if you haven't read it, don't; if you have, check out the lovely parody entitled Nightlight- much more entertaining than the original), and though I felt unsatisfied with the main character's complete lack of personality and the cheesy writing, there was something very intriguing about the underlying plot of the story- I just wish someone else had scooped up the idea and written it better first! I can happily say that I haven't fallen for the 50 Shades craze, though if the rumors are true, this one is equally poorly written. Honestly, if I really want to hear some awkward metaphors for genitalia, I can just go back to teaching at the public high school. 

Before I sign off, I'll give you something to consider. Next time you hear of the next big "hit" book, don't be so quick to soak up the media's praise and pick it off the shelf. You, my reader friends, deserve much better than teenaged vampire love trysts and BDSM. Give the fad a little time and consider instead reading something with a positive message or a moral theme behind it. No, it doesn't have to be dull and dry; there are so many well-written, compelling novels out there that aren't million-copy sellers! Read something your awesome reader, librarian or teacher friends recommend. I know several other writers (a fortunate few are even published) who would be happy to point you in the direction of some quality reading material. Personally, I am a big fan of stories with a "rise of the underdog" theme and quirky kick-ass female leads, and both can be found in my own novels. I feel that, if I'm going to become a published writer, I should be creating characters and stories that deserve to be heard, not ones that bring people down. Even if I don't sell a million copies, I can be at peace with myself and be content that it's something I can share with my son in the future. 

1 comment: