Sunday, March 22, 2020

Breast Cancer Warrior: Chemo in the Time of Coronavirus

Every news story I've watched or read the last two weeks has included some angle about the coronavirus. It’s insane how intensely (and how quickly) this has impacted the lives of everybody. “Social distancing” is the new lifestyle, and, at least here in Wisconsin, most places have closed, including libraries, schools, bars, churches, malls, and gyms, and other places are operating with restrictions, like credit unions that are only using their drive-thru area or restaurants that only offer pick-up service. It's unnerving to see so many shutting their doors, but I did read an article this weekend that offered the hope that if we do this whole "social distancing" thing correctly-- and quickly-- we'll be able to get back to normal sooner than later. The same article describes a rather bleak outlook if we don't do this right, so I'm trying to think positively. Still, I think it's fair to say that this is a rather troubling time. 

via GIPHY

It’s especially frightening when dealing with cancer and chemotherapy amidst a health crisis. Chemo has weakened my normally not-so-bad immune system to the point that I’m still dealing with a cold that I had when I started chemo nearly two months ago. To be fair,  I think most of my symptoms from my cold are finally gone-- maybe it’s truly leaving!-- and I am just dealing with an extremely runny nose (which I'm partially blaming on the fact that all my nose hairs are now gone). One odd phenomenon about these closures is that, with chemo and a newborn, I was already not going out much. I was trying to keep Corey and me both away from germs as well as needing more rest than usual from the effects of chemo. Now, with everyone else stuck at home, I feel oddly more connected. In facing a pandemic, we're suddenly all in this boat together, in a weird, distant way.


via
Times like these can bring out the best or the worst in people. I'm sure everyone's seen frustrating stories about people who are hoarding toilet paper and cleaning supplies, but I've also seen a lot of positive stories in my own community. In a local Facebook group, residents have been asking if their elderly neighbors need someone to grab groceries or supplies for them for them or if people who suddenly have their children at home need free assistance with childcare. I even saw one local family leaving a table of canned goods and paper products out in their driveway for any neighbors in need. Stories like these show how a crisis can bring out the best in people.

When I first saw COVID-19 spiraling closer to home, I found myself thinking, "Seriously?! Can we not do a global pandemic when I'm going through chemotherapy?" The timing was ridiculous enough that I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry.  (I mean, for real, what are the odds?!) Then, I quickly realized that everyone has their own issues that they're facing during this crisis, whether it's a health issue like myself...or being laid off for an unknown amount of time...or facing additional stress if your job takes you to the front line in battle against the virus...or fear if you find yourself ill....or even simply feeling disconnected from others when you can't go about life as usual. We all have our unique struggles, but we can unite to make them less difficult. I was comforted by all of the people who reached out to me when they heard about my breast cancer diagnosis, and I hope we can all reach out to one another as we together face this unprecedented time. While keeping a six-foot distance, of course. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sarah. You are quite eloquent and hit the nail on the head. The kids and I are keeping in touch with group texts and phone. I see families pulling together and actually eating meals together....the silver lining I think....we are all in this together. Still praying for you, Eli and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope we'll see people pulling together through all of this! My family and I have been doing some group texting, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post Sarah,
    I can't imagine dealing with chemo during this, I have been doing my best to stay positive. I'm praying that God will bring us through it. Of all the times for churches to be closed! I'll keep praying for you !

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toni! I think it helps to remember at times like these that the church doesn't have to be a physical building but can be with us anywhere in spirit. That said, I'll still be grateful when we can return to the building for that sense of community. We're keeping you in our thoughts over here. :)

      Delete