Sunday, April 5, 2020

Breast Cancer Warrior: My Chemo Playlist


Before I went in for my 4th round of chemotherapy early last week, I'd learned that I wouldn't be able to have any visitors due to new coronavirus restrictions. I met friends and family via Zoom, which was so helpful, but I also came prepared with my chemo playlist to help distract me.

Each song has its reason for being on here, which I've noted below. I have a tendency toward alternative and punk rock, and it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

1. This is how I feel some days during or shortly after chemo: Green Day: "Brain Stew".

2. This is how I feel some other days (usually right before another round): Florence & The Machine: “Dog Days Are Over” This song is also on here because Florence Welch is a cool ginger, like myself. ;)

3. The Lumineers: “Big Parade” is on the list because I was supposed to go see them in concert with one of my sisters as a celebration of getting halfway through chemo in mid-March. Unfortunately, COVID-19 crushed those dreams, and I had to celebrate small (i.e. my favorite beer and a new show on Netflix).

Since I was daydreaming of concerts I'd like to attend, I did get to see these two bands in person last fall: 4. Black Keys: “Gold on the Ceiling” and 5. Modest Mouse: “Dashboard”. Both of these songs rocked at the concert, so they made my list.

6. This video includes joyful dancing and somewhat psychedelic colors, and I always find the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' music oddly soothing: “Turn Into”.

7. This one sums up how I'll probably feel when I'm done with treatment: Imagine Dragons: "On Top of the World". I also put 8. "Thunder" here because it's my kids' favorite song and brings to mind their crazy dance moves.  

9. "We Will Become Silhouettes" by The Shins. I think the lyrics make this one a bonus quarantine song.

10. Finally, any playlist about being strong during tough times needs a survival song: Destiny's Child: "Survivor"

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us, great playlist too, I especially love the imagine dragons & see the kiddos dancing to this. I can only imagine their "crazy dance moves" lol. Prayers for you are continued, feel free to add me on one of these Zoom calls sometime! Love you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us, great playlist too, I especially love the imagine dragons & see the kiddos dancing to this. I can only imagine their "crazy dance moves" lol. Prayers for you are continued, feel free to add me on one of these Zoom calls sometime
    Toni T

    ReplyDelete